How to add a drop-down list in google sheets?
In this article, we will discuss How to add a drop-down list in google sheets. But before going to the main topic, let’s discuss Google Sheet history.
What is Google Sheet?
Google Sheets developed by 2Web Technologies. It is a spreadsheet program included as part of the free Google Docs editors offered by Google. Google also provides services like Google Docs, Google Slides, Google Drawings, Google Forms, Google Sites, and Google Keep. Moreover, It is available as a web-based application, a mobile app for Android, iOS, Microsoft Windows/Macbook, and a desktop application on Googles’s chrome OS.
Google sheet is compatible with Microsoft Excel. It allows users to create and edit files online while cooperating with other users in real-time.
Creating a drop-down list
Let’s create a drop-down list in a cell with Sheets. Here are the following steps through which you can easily create a list.
- Open a spreadsheet in Google Sheets.
- Select the cell or cells where you want to create a dropdown list in Sheet.
- Then Click Data > Data Validation
- Next to the Criteria, choose an option:
- List from a range: Select the cells that are included in the list.
- List of items: Enter the items, separated by commas and no spaces.
- The cells will have a down arrow. If you want to remove the arrow, uncheck the Show dropdown list in cell.
- If you enter data in a cell that doesn’t match an item in the list. So, you will see a warning. Moreover, if you want people to only enter the items from the list, choose to Reject input next to On invalid data.
- Click on Save. The cells will show a dropdown list. You can also change the color of a cell based on the option selected, and use conditional formatting.
Change or delete a dropdown list
So, if you want to change or delete a dropdown list. You can easily delete or change the list through the following steps.
- Open a spreadsheet.
- Select the cell you want to change.
- Click Data > Data validation.
- To change the options, edit the items next to Criteria.
- Click Remove validation for deleting a list.
- Click on Save.